Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Julie Doiron Live from the CiTR Lounge


If you were lucky enough to have been tipped off by someone at CiTR you may have had the chance to sneak into the lounge to see Julie Doiron play a special live set for CiTR's live band radio program Thunderbird Radio Hell. Odds are you were not one of the people who caught it as only about 15 people were there. However, whether you did or not it was podcast for your listening pleasure here. Ms. Doiron was joined by her touring buddy and longtime collaborator Fred Squire who drummed and added banter. Speaking of banter Doiron is one hell of a talker. If you want to know when she last went to the dentist (14 years ago), what she's been dreaming about lately (her brother being mean to her after all her teeth fall out) or the state of her taxes (she's a little behind) you can find out all those things and lots more. She's funny, self-deprecating and charming so it's not an unpleasant listen though I do admit I would have enjoyed more music in the music:banter ratio.

The music she did play was special though as it was the first time she'd played some of the songs from her new album I Can Wonder What You Did With Your Day live. Her album isn't due out in Canada until the 24th of this month, but as it's out in the States you can download it if you are impatient.

I didn't catch all the songs she played in the set, but "Tailor Song", "Heavy Snow", "Woke Myself Up", "Borrowed Minivans" and "Dirty Feet" all made appearances. In addition to the Doiron-based material they also played a rather nice Ewan MacColl cover and one of Fred Squire's songs, which I don't know the name of, but wish I did. It contained the lyrics "because I do not have a telephone with which to call" which I thought I would be able to google, but google has failed me.

Photo by Ben Lai

No comments:

Post a Comment